Ask Your MP to Support Tidal Power
You can download a printable PDF of this letter here.
Dear ________ MP
Introduce yourself as a constituent. Tell them a bit about yourself including why you have an interest in tidal energy and/ or climate change.
E.g. I am a constituent of yours, working in the local town as a florist. I am interested in the development of the world’s first tidal lagoon in Swansea Bay as I am concerned about the effects of climate change. I am therefore delighted to see Government progress on renewable technology such as this.
Read our briefing on tidal lagoons for more information here. Why not print off a copy to give to your MP?
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon was recently backed by an independent review. The next steps in the process involve the Government assessing the recommendations set out by the review then debating and voting on the project in Parliament.
You could have a look over a summary of the review and pick out key points to highlight to your MP (or you can use the quotes provided in the example below);
E.g. The independent review states that “the evidence is clear that tidal lagoons can play a cost effective part of the UK’s energy mix” so in this tumultuous political climate I feel that this is a project that could bring the UK’s policy makers together in agreement. It also states that “we should start that process as swiftly as we can,” so I would be grateful if you could…
Ask your MP to take action
You might ask your MP to...
- Write to Greg Clark, Minister for the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, expressing their support for the lagoon.
- Vote in favour of Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon in Parliament.
- Release a public statement in support of the Tidal Lagoon.
- Find out more information for you about progress on the lagoon in Parliament.
- Meet with you to discuss how you can support them in promoting tidal power.
E.g. I look forward to seeing how the UK will face this opportunity of becoming the world’s first developer of tidal energy.