Following up a meeting with your MP
Congratulations on meeting with your MP! Do please let us know how it went if you haven't already so that we know which areas are already being covered and how we can assist with following up your meeting.
Often MPs will ask for further information or evidence on a particular issue, so be sure to send that through as quickly as you can. We have some advice on working with your MP over a long period of time here.
If your MP has made commitments, it is important to write to them again after a reasonable length of time to ask them how they are progressing with the issue.
If you found it difficult to engage your MP on climate justice, you may wish to send further evidence for your position, such as some of the reports and information we have gathered. Personal stories of how climate change is already severely affecting areas of the world or of organisations and campaigns taking a stand against climate change can also be a powerful tool. We have some suggestions here, and it is also worth keeping an eye out for recent new pieces that may be useful to send to your MP.
Another way to follow up your meeting is to send a further letter signed by members of your group or congregation, or to hold a Climate Write-In and invite others to send personal letters of support for climate justice. Let us know if you would like help in drafting a letter.
Following up a meeting
- Let us know how the meeting went.
- Send through any additional information or evidence your MP has requested.
- Write to them again to follow up any climate commitments they made in the meeting.
- Keep an eye out for any relevant current affairs that you may wish to send to your MP.
- Hold a further Climate Write-In at your church or group to demonstrate the community support for your concerns.